The Office of the Vice-President, Research (VPR) oversees UBC’s research infrastructure, strategy and international engagement.
The portfolio involves multiple research administration and support units.
entrepreneurship @ UBC connects budding entrepreneurs with seasoned real-world mentors, venture capitalists—and each other. They do it through networking opportunities that include the Venture Cafe, accelerator programs and access to startup office space.
The program also offers capital from a Seed Fund to help launch promising new enterprises.
The university can be intimidating to navigate; our personalized corporate relations service provides a simple, single point of entry for our partners.
The staff of the Office of Research Services are dedicated to providing top-quality administrative support to UBC’s research community. Contact ORS looking for help with any of these tasks:
- Finding funding or developing research grants;
- Obtaining an institutional signature for a grant application;
- Obtaining a compliance certificate for research involving human subjects, animals or biohazardous materials;
- Setting up a research account and spending limits;
- Transferring research funds to my collaborators at another institution;
- Registering a clinical trial;
- Finding information about research funding at UBC and its affiliated institutions;
- Research proposal development.
It is part of an international network of University Based Institutes for Advanced Study devoted to nurturing research at the highest levels.
The Institute offers rare opportunities for UBC researchers who are likely to make breakthrough discoveries over the long term. The Institute's achievements include the creation of a significant community of scholars – more than 450 Faculty Associates in total – at the University of British Columbia and an even wider global community of individuals and partner institutions.
Research Finance is responsible for the following functions:
- Ensure all sponsored research and specific purpose funds (i.e. R and S funds) at UBC are administered in compliance with funding agency, university, and accounting policies.
- Maintain financial records for these funds and submit periodical financial reports to sponsors from government, industry and non-profit organizations.
- Together with Office of Research Services (ORS) and University-Industry Liaison Office (UILO), act as liaison between UBC researchers and sponsor agencies and provide assistance to researchers and departmental administrators with respect to research project funding issues.
The UBC Sequencing and Bioinformatics Consortium (SBC) brings together the facilities, expertise and experience of multiple units across UBC to provide end-to-end support for any sequencing project, with rapid turnaround times.
The SBC was established in 2016 under the guidance of the VP Research Office, combining the UBC Sequencing Centre, the Biodiversity Research Centre NextGen Sequencing Facility and the NAPS Unit.
The staff at SPARC provide expert support to UBC researchers in all disciplines who seek operating and team-based funding for innovative research initiatives. SPARC helps to develop research partnerships and build interdisciplinary, inter-institutional teams that may involve government, the private sector and the community.
Services include internal review, strategic grant development workshops and consultations, team development, and brokering partnerships with government, industry and community organizations.
SPARC's unique programs are tailored to meet the needs of researchers and to respond to emerging mandates and priorities of external funding agencies.