Our awards committees lead an internal recognition program and encourage quality applications to prestigious external awards and prizes.
Faculty Research Awards Committee
The Faculty Research Awards Committee is composed of UBC faculty members who adjudicate internal awards and prizes that recognize excellence in research by UBC faculty members in a variety of disciplines.
- Based on the recommendations of this committee, the Vice-President, Research & Innovation decides the winner of each internal award.
- Two subcommittees consider applications and nominations for scholarly activity in the arts and humanities, and the sciences and applied sciences, respectively.
- The 14-member committee is comprised of a non-voting chair (appointed by the Vice-President, Research & Innovation) and members on each subcommittee representing arts and humanities, business, applied science, science, and medicine.
- Members serve a three-year term.
- Carrier, Brenda (Secretary)
- Gabora, Liane Psychology (Okanagan)
- Harris, Leila Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice / Institute for Resources, Environment and Sustainability
- Hudson, Nicholas English Language & Literatures
- Johnson, James Cellular and Physiological Sciences
- Liu-Ambrose, Teresa Physical Therapy (Chair)
- Mansfield, Shawn Wood Science
- Parkes, Debra The Allard School of Law
- Poole, David Computer Science
- Roskams, Jane Zoology
- Straus, Suzana Chemistry
- Taiebat, Mahdi Civil Engineering
- Warren, Mark Political Science
- Wilkes, Rima Sociology
the institutional council research prizes & awards
The awarding of national and international honours, awards and prizes to UBC researchers is an important hallmark of research excellence and is critical in attracting both funding partners and world-leading academic researchers to UBC.
- The Institutional Council for Research Prizes and Awards reports to the Vice-President Research & Innovation (VPRI) and provides advice to both the VPRI and to the President and Vice-Chancellor.
- The Council is comprised of scholars from the different disciplinary clusters (humanities, creative and performing arts, social sciences, natural sciences, engineering, health), major award recipients, junior/mid-career/senior faculty members
- The Council is committed to ensuring that equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) practices are reflected.
- Philip Barker, Vice-Principal, Research, Okanagan campus
- Matthew Evenden, Associate Vice-President, Research & Innovation
- Brenda Carrier, Manager, Office of Research Prizes and Awards (ORPA)(secretary, ex officio, non-voting)
- Dana Claxton, Associate Professor and Head, (Art History,Visual Art & Theory)
- Chen Feng, Assistant Professor(Engineering) Okanagan campus
- Heather Frost, Director, Support Programs to Advance Research Capacity (SPARC)(ex officio, non-voting)
- Sneja Gunew, Member, Emeritus College
- Rachelle Hole, Associate Professor, (School of Social Work) Okanagan campus
- Teresa Liu-Ambrose, Interim Chair, Professor, CRC II,(Physical Therapy)
- Minelle Mahtani, Senior Advisor to the Provost, Racialized Faculty
- Raymond Ng, Professor, (Computer Science)
- Eli Puterman, Associate Professor, CRC II, (Kinesiology)
- Rashid Sumaila, Professor, Director, Fisheries Economics Research Unit, UBC Fisheries Centre
- Naznin Virji-Babul, Senior Advisor to the Provost on Women and Gender-Diverse Faculty
- Sabrina Wong, Professor, (Nursing).