Our awards committees lead an internal recognition program and encourage quality applications to prestigious external awards and prizes.
Faculty Research Awards Committee
The Faculty Research Awards Committee is composed of UBC faculty members who adjudicate internal awards and prizes that recognize excellence in research by UBC faculty members in a variety of disciplines.
- Based on the recommendations of this committee, the Vice-President, Research & Innovation decides the winner of each internal award.
- Two subcommittees consider applications and nominations for scholarly activity in the arts and humanities, and the sciences and applied sciences, respectively.
- The 14-member committee is comprised of a non-voting chair (appointed by the Vice-President, Research & Innovation) and members on each subcommittee representing arts and humanities, business, applied science, science, and medicine.
- Members serve a three-year term.
- Carrier, Brenda (Secretary)
- Gabora, Liane Psychology (Okanagan)
- Harris, Leila Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality and Social Justice / Institute for Resources, Environment and Sustainability
- Hudson, Nicholas English Language & Literatures
- Johnson, James Cellular and Physiological Sciences
- Liu-Ambrose, Teresa Physical Therapy (Chair)
- Mansfield, Shawn Wood Science
- Parkes, Debra The Allard School of Law
- Poole, David Computer Science
- Roskams, Jane Zoology
- Straus, Suzana Chemistry
- Taiebat, Mahdi Civil Engineering
- Warren, Mark Political Science
- Wilkes, Rima Sociology
President’s Advisory Committee - Major Awards
The President’s Advisory Committee – Major Awards provides advice to the President regarding nominations for major external research awards such as the Killam, Gairdner, Sloan, Trudeau Foundation, Steacie and other major Canadian and international prizes.
- The aim is to improve the success of UBC faculty members in these competitions.
- The Committee reports to the President and Vice-Chancellor. The Chair is appointed by the Vice-President Research & Innovation.
- A representative from each faculty is appointed by the appropriate Dean, and one representative is selected by the Association of Emeriti Professors.
As part of the institutional award strategy, the committee is undergoing structural changes.
More information will be posted to this page soon.