Our awards committees lead an internal recognition program and encourage quality applications to prestigious external awards and prizes.
Faculty Research Awards Committee
The Faculty Research Awards Committee is composed of UBC faculty members who adjudicate internal awards and prizes that recognize excellence in research by UBC faculty members in a variety of disciplines.
- Based on the recommendations of this committee, the Vice-President, Research & Innovation decides the winner of each internal award.
- Two subcommittees consider applications and nominations for scholarly activity in the arts and humanities, and the sciences and applied sciences, respectively.
- The 14-member committee is comprised of a non-voting chair (appointed by the Vice-President, Research & Innovation) and members on each subcommittee representing arts and humanities, business, applied science, science, and medicine.
- Members serve a three-year term.
- Carrier, Brenda Faculty Awards Officer (Secretary)
- Cooper, Lisa Classical, Near Eastern & Religious Studies
- Frohlick, Susan Community, Culture, and Global Studies(UBC-O)
- Li, Kai Finance Division, The Sauder School of Business
- Lopes, Dominic McIver Philosophy
- Peck, Jamie Geography
- Schmader, Toni Psychology
- Beatty, Tom Microbiology & Immunology
- Bi, Xiaotao Chemical & Biological Engineering
- deSilva, Clarence Mechanical Engineering
- Maddison, Wayne Botany/Zoology (Chair)
- MacLean, Karon Computer Science
- Semenoff, Gordon Physics & Astronomy
- Wang, Yu Tian - Neurology
President’s Advisory Committee - Major Awards
The President’s Advisory Committee – Major Awards provides advice to the President regarding nominations for major external research awards such as the Killam, Gairdner, Sloan, Trudeau Foundation, Steacie and other major Canadian and international prizes.
- The aim is to improve the success of UBC faculty members in these competitions.
- The Committee reports to the President and Vice-Chancellor. The Chair is appointed by the Vice-President Research & Innovation.
- A representative from each faculty is appointed by the appropriate Dean, and one representative is selected by the Association of Emeriti Professors.
- Dr Natasha Affolder Associate Professor and Associate Dean Research and International, Law
- Dr Sally Aitken, Professor, Forest and Conservation Sciences and Associate Dean, Research & Innovation
- Dr Jehannine Austin Associate Professor, Medicine
- Dr Mark Beauchamp, Professor and Associate Dean of Research, Education
- Ms Brenda Carrier Faculty Awards Officer, VP Research & Innovation Office (Secretary)
- Dr Matthew Evenden Professor and Associate Dean of Research & Graduate Studies, Arts
- Dr Judith Hall Professor Emerita, Medicine
- Dr David Kitts Professor, Associate Dean Research, Land and Food Systems
- Dr Darrin Lehman Professor, Arts, (Chair)
- Dr Mark MacLachlan Professor and Associate Dean of Research, pro tem, Science
- Dr Walter Merida Professor and Associate Dean of Research, Applied Science
- Vacancy - Dentistry TBA
- Dr John Ries Professor and Senior Associate Dean of Research, Sauder School of Business
- Dr Brian Rodrigues Professor, Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Dr Paul Van Donkelaar Professor and Associate Vice-Principal, Research, Health and Exercise Sciences (UBC-Okanagan)