Managing a CFI grant requires periodic financial and project reporting.
Institutional procedures for financial and project reporting to CFI are published in the CFI Policy and Program Guide. Please refer to Sections 7.3, and 7.4. If you require clarification or assistance, please contact the Institutional Programs Office.
The following is a brief outline of CFI’s expectations for tracking project expenditures and reporting financial data.
- CFI guidelines do not permit other federal sponsor agencies such as NSERC, NCE, SSHRC, CIHR or other CFI to cover any portion of CFI-related costs.
- Do not charge non-CFI expenditures to CFI Project/Grants (PGs). Examples of non-eligible costs include:
Operating and overhead costs such as office supplies, photocopying, telephone installation and monthly telephone charges, membership fees, entertainment, etc.;
Salaries and benefits for administrative staff and faculty, and stipends for graduate and undergraduate students;
Operating costs to conduct research; and
Equipment maintenance and service costs.
- Utilize the Itemized List of Eligible Expenses Worksheet that we shall e-mail you. You are required to identify the item number for each transaction charged to your PG.
- For transfer of expenditures by journal voucher (JV) from one PG to another, do a line-by-line transfer of amounts. Attach supporting documents to the JV.
- Keep all supporting documentation, such as purchase requisitions, purchase orders, receiving reports, invoices, time sheets, and appointment forms (for personnel costs where applicable) in a file separate from other awards, for at least 7 years following the date of transaction. Reference each document to the CFI project budget line item number.
- After the award agreement is in place, obtain pre-approval for any amendments to the budget or project costs. Forward all requests for changes to one of the persons listed below via e-mail, and provide justification for the change. Please refer to Section 6.6 of the CFI Policy and Program Guide at for more information.
- Notify our office if you expect a delay in completing the project (please refer to the completion date in your finalization of budget). If the delay is significant, UBC must submit a letter to CFI explaining the delay.