UBC offers significant support and resources to help you secure research funding, from assistance in identifying funding opportunities to proposal development and submission support.
KEY VPRI SUPPORT
Get help with finding funding deadlines, information and requirements.
developing your proposal
Our support includes individual advice and review, grant workshops and test-your-concept panels.
Budgeting and indirect costs
Indirect costs of research are real, ongoing, necessary operating expenses that support research but cannot be wholly attributed to any one research project.
Submitting Your proposal
Get help with obtaining signatures and submitting your proposal.
INTERESTED IN LEARNING ABOUT THE FUNDING PROCESS?
Below are high-level outlines of the research funding processes for grants and contracts.
Grants are applied to as part of a funding competition.
- Locate funding opportunities
- Develop grant application
- Consult a grant facilitator in SPARC, IPO, or from within your faculty for assistance with developing your proposal
- Develop the research budget
- Complete the RPIF and get Head of Department and/or Dean signatures as appropriate
- Submit RPIF and grant application to ORS
- ORS will provide an institutional signature
- Submit to granting agency (paper/electronic)
- If proposal is successful, ORS will automatically set up a research account for you
Contracts are often individual relationships with external partners.
- Identify partner
- Develop a proposal and project budget
- Complete the RPIF and get by Head of Department and Dean signatures
- Submit proposal and RPIF to the UILO
- Consult with the UILO around desired contractual terms for IP and other deliverables
- UILO will negotiate the contract with the sponsor on behalf of UBC
- UILO will provide an institutional signature when the contract is agreed
- When the contract is executed, the UILO will automatically set up a research account for you