The Vice-President Research & Innovation has established the Research Facility Support Grants (RFSG) competition to provide funding for the operation, maintenance, replacement, repair or upgrade of equipment to support research.
This competition is open to faculty located at the UBC Vancouver campus and affiliated hospital sites. The RFSGs are one-year grants of up to $50,000 intended to enhance UBC research and training.
Call for Proposals for Research Facility Support Grants (RFSG) - October 1, 2021 deadline
Eligible expenses include:
- Materials, supplies, replacement, and minor upgrades essential to the operation and maintenance of facility equipment.
- Bridge funding for salaries of technical and professional research support staff employed to operate and maintain the facility or equipment and provide assistance to users. The need and justification for any bridge funding should be clearly described, including the nature and timing of currently held and potential future funding.
Faculty located on the UBC Vancouver campus and affiliated hospital sites are invited to submit an online application that includes the following components:
- Description of the research that will be supported by the RFSG, and the specific need for funding;
- The use of the shared facility or equipment by the applicants and a summary of the user base;
- Past and planned contributions of the facility or equipment to the training of highly qualified personnel;
- An equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) statement that addresses research and training goals supported by the facility or equipment, and access to/ use of the facility or equipment;
- A budget and justification for the requested funds;
- Abbreviated two-page CV from the lead applicant.
Facilities and research equipment shared by three or more principal investigators who are funded primarily by NSERC, CIHR and/or SSHRC and located on the UBC-V campus or affiliated hospitals are eligible for this competition. Shared research platforms of the VPRI portfolio are not eligible. Special consideration will be given to proposals that are led by and that support the research of investigators within 6 years of their appointment as an Assistant Professor.
To be eligible for this funding opportunity:
- Collectively, the applicants (lead and two co-applicants) must currently hold or have held Tri-Agency funding within the past 5 years.
- The lead applicant must be a UBC Faculty member and may only submit one application.
- The facility or equipment must not currently have significant institutional support from UBC or have more than 20% left in its Infrastructure Operating Funds.
- The facility or equipment must not be obsolete or unsupported.
A total funding envelope of $750,000 is available for this competition, with a maximum budget cap of $50,000 per application. Successful applicants will be notified by November 15, 2021, and funds will be distributed shortly thereafter. Awards must be spent by October 31, 2022. Successful applicants will be required to submit a brief report confirming use of funds and impact of the award by December 15, 2022.
new online Application PROCESS
To apply to the RFSG competition, the lead applicant must log in to VPRI’s new online application system UBC Research + Innovation Apply using their campus wide login (CWL), and follow the instructions provided. Once the application has been initiated, the lead applicant may invite co-applicants with a CWL to contribute using the “add collaborator” button located in the left side block. Applications can be saved and completed at a later date before final submission, and can be downloaded as a PDF at any time. Each section must be marked as complete before the lead applicant can submit the application. Applications must be submitted by the end of the day, October 1, 2021.
Specific assessment criteria for the RFSG are:
- Demonstrated need of funding for the facility or equipment, to support UBC research programs;
- Evidence of research excellence within the past 3 years that is directly supported by the facility or equipment;
- Use of the facility or equipment by the UBC research community;
- Evidence of high-quality training supported by the facility or equipment; and
- EDI considerations are addressed in the research and training goals supported by the facility or equipment, as well as the access and use of the facility or equipment.
Questions should be directed to the Manager, Internal Research Competitions, Stacey Herzer.
August 25, 2021 Competition launch
October 1, 2021, 11:59 pm PT Applications due
November 26, 2021 Notification of results
October 31, 2022 All funds must be spent
December 31, 2022 Final report due
Bridge funding describes a fixed period of support when the grant providing funds for an employee’s salary is ending while funding from a new grant has not yet started or been confirmed. Justifying bridge funding includes providing details on the nature and timing of currently held and potential future funding.
No, warranty renewals and service contracts are not eligible expenses for the RFSG.
Yes if applicable, please include any quotes by uploading them as a single PDF when prompted.
Yes, any letters of support for the facility from departments and/or faculties are optional and should detail the in-kind and cash contributions.
We suggest that your CV includes:
- Autobiographical information (name, current position and dates, department/faculty, educational training and dates)
- Employment experience (academic/non-academic; last five years)
- Recognitions (i.e., committees and other distinctions; awards and prizes; honours; last five years)
- Research funding and percent of funds to the applicant (last five years)
- Publications (published or in press only, last five years)
Information and resources for EDI in research can be found at https://research.ubc.ca/vpri-competitions-initiatives/edi-resources-researchers.
Yes, a brief report is due by December 31, 2022 confirming use of funds and impact of the award.
You are not required to submit a Research Project Information Form (RPIF) with your RFSG proposal. However, if you are successful in the competition, we will require an RPIF before distributing funds.
A no-cost extension may be requested for a maximum of 3 months for non-salary expenses only. No-cost extensions will only be considered with strong justification, and on a case-by-case basis.