May 9, 2022
Today, the Honourable François-Philippe Champagne, Minister of Innovation, Science and Industry, and the Honourable Jean-Yves Duclos, Minister of Health, are announcing an investment of $19.2 million to support 46 community-based and community-led research partnerships through the Race, Gender and Diversity Initiative. This initiative is led by the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC), in partnership with the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), whose investment helped fund projects that have a focus on health.
This investment will support two UBC-led projects and an additional four projects with UBC collaborators.
The funded partnerships will draw on collaboration and mutual learning to foster the co-creation of new knowledge, capacity-building and knowledge mobilization among non-academic partner organizations and academics on issues relating to systemic racism and discrimination of underrepresented and disadvantaged groups.
- Understanding Race and Racism in Immigration Detention
Applicant: Arbel, Efrat (Peter A. Allard School of Law)
- A Perinatal Collaborative Community Laboratory on Substance Use and Harm Reduction: The Mothering Co/Lab
Applicant: Shahram, Sana (School of Nursing, UBCO)
Projects with UBC Collaborators
- Open-Access Education Resources in Deaf Education Electronic Books as Pedagogy and Curriculum
Applicant: Joanne Weber (University of Alberta)
UBC Collaborator: Joanna Cannon (Department of Educational and Counselling Psychology, and Special Education)
- Facilitating Anti-Ableist Remote Music Making
Applicant: Adam Bell (University of Calgary)
UBC Co-Director: Stefan Honisch (Department of Theatre & Film)
- The Right to Abortion Project: Coming Together to Improve Culturally Safe Abortion Care for Indigenous Women, Two-Spirit and LGBTQIA+ People in Canada
Applicant: Renée Monchalin (University of Victoria)
UBC Co-Applicant: Sarah Munro (Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
- Refugee States
Applicant: Thy Phu (University of Toronto)
UBC Collaborator: Y-Dang Troeung (Department of English)