The Vice-President, Research & Innovation has established the Research Facility Support Grants (RFSG) competition to provide funding for the operation, maintenance, replacements, repairs or upgrades of equipment currently used in UBC facilities to support research. The RFSGs are one-year grants of up to $50,000 intended to enhance the research and training that can be conducted at UBC.
*The 2020 competition has been placed on hold. We are not accepting applications at this time.
Eligible expenses include:
- Materials, supplies, repairs and minor upgrades essential to the operation and maintenance of the equipment.
- Bridge funding for salaries of technical and professional research support staff employed to operate and maintain the facility and provide assistance to users. The need and justification for any bridge funding should be clearly described, including the nature and timing of currently held and potential future funding.
Researchers located on the UBC Vancouver campus and affiliated hospital sites are invited to submit a proposal (up to a maximum of two (2) pages free-form) along with the lead applicant’s two (2) page CV. Using quantitative metrics when appropriate, the proposal should describe:
- The research supported by the RFSG and the need for the funding;
- The use of the facility by the applicants and a summary of the user base;
- Past and planned contribution of the facility to the training of highly qualified personnel;
- A budget and justification for the requested funds, including an explanation of attempts to obtain funding elsewhere.
Researchers located on the UBC Vancouver campus and affiliated hospital sites are eligible to apply. RFSGs are intended for equipment shared by three (3) or more principal investigators who are funded primarily by NSERC, CIHR, and/or SSHRC. Shared research platforms approved by VPRI are not eligible.
To be eligible for this funding opportunity:
- The lead applicant must currently hold or have held Tri-Council funding in the past 5 years.
- The lead applicant can only submit one application.
- The facility must not currently have other significant resources at its disposal. For example, a CFI facility with more than 20% left in its Infrastructure Operating Funds would be considered ineligible; a large group of well-funded scientists would need to demonstrate the need for extra support.
- The facility must not be obsolete or unsupported.
A total funding envelope of $500,000 is available for this competition, with the expectation that several applications will be funded with a cap of $50,000 per application. Successful applicants will be notified by May 25, and funds will be distributed shortly thereafter. Awards must be spent by March 31, 2021. Successful applicants will be required to submit a brief (1 page) report confirming use of funds and impact of the award by April 15, 2021.
*Please note we are not accepting applications at this time.
Applications for this funding call and lead applicant’s CV should be submitted online as a single PDF (proposal first, CV second) to the VPRI.
Specific assessment criteria for the RFSG are:
- Demonstrated need for support of the facility for the research programs (difficulty to fund through current or future research grants; unexpected hardship; etc.)
- Evidence of research excellence directly supported by the infrastructure. Please restrict evidence to the past 2-3 years only;
- Use of the facility by the UBC research community. Include usage statistics and/or other metrics as appropriate;
- Evidence of high-quality training supported by the infrastructure.
Questions should be directed to the Manager, Internal Research Competitions, Stacey Herzer (firstname.lastname@example.org), 604-827-2379.
Bridge funding describes a fixed period of support when the grant providing funds for an employee’s salary is ending while funding from a new grant has not yet started or been confirmed. Justifying bridge funding includes providing details on the nature and timing of currently held and potential future funding.
Yes if applicable, please include any quotes after the application and before the lead applicant's CV.
Yes, a brief report is due by April 15, 2021 confirming use of funds and impact of the award.
You are not required to submit a Research Project Information Form (RPIF) with your RFSG proposal. However, if you are successful in the competition, we will require an RPIF before distributing funds.
No. Funds must be spent by the PG end date of March 31, 2021. Any unspent funds will be returned to VPRI.