Call for Proposals for Research Facility Support Grants [RFSG] - all disciplines [Dec 1st, 2017 deadline]
The Vice-President Research & Innovation has established the Research Facility Support Grants (RFSG) competition to provide funding for the operation, maintenance, repairs or upgrades of equipment used in UBC facilities to support research across all disciplines. The RFSGs are one-year grants of up to $50,000 intended to enhance the research that can be conducted at UBC. Requests may be made for:
- salaries of technical and professional research support staff employed to operate and maintain the facility and provide assistance to users, with eligible expenses according to Tri-Council rules occurring or having occurred from April 1, 2017 through March 31, 2018; and
- materials, supplies and minor equipment upgrades essential to the operation and maintenance of the equipment that can be completed by March 31, 2018.
Researchers located at the UBC Vancouver campus and its affiliated research institutes are invited to submit a proposal [up to a maximum of 2 pages] that describes, using quantitative metrics to support the case, when appropriate:
- the research supported by the RFSG;
- the use of the facility by the UBC research community;
- past and planned contribution of the facility to the training of highly qualified personnel; and
- a budget and justification for the requested funds.
RFSGs are intended to support research groups [minimum of 3] funded primarily by NSERC, CIHR, and/or SSHRC. To be eligible for this funding opportunity:
- the lead applicant must currently hold [or have held in the past 5 years] Tri-Council funding;
- the facility must not currently have other significant resources at its disposal. For example, a CFI facility with more than 20% left in its IOF would be considered ineligible;
- the facility must not be obsolete or unsupported.
A total funding envelope of $600,000 is available for this competition, with the expectation that several applications will be funded with a cap of $50,000 per application. Applicants must be researchers at the UBC Vancouver campus and its affiliated research institutes. Successful applications will be notified by the end of December 2017 and awards will be distributed shortly thereafter. Awards must be spent by March 31st, 2018.
Submission and Selection Processes
Applications for this funding call should be submitted electronically as a single PDF to the VPRI office central web portal www.research.ubc.ca/rfsg-submission by the end of day December 1, 2017. A UBC committee will review applications and make decisions based on:
- evidence of research excellence supported by the infrastructure;
- evidence of high-quality training supported by the infrastructure;
- use of the facility by the UBC research community;
- demonstrated need for support of the facility for the research programs.
Questions should be directed to the Senior Advisor, Strategic Initiatives Kyle Demes [firstname.lastname@example.org], 604-827-2379.