Inclusive Excellence is a cross-cutting priority in UBC’s strategic plan.
UBC believes that sustained excellence in research, education and engagement depends on the integration of diverse perspectives and approaches and the inclusion of those who have been historically, persistently or systemically marginalized.
KEY VPRI SUPPORT
UBC's Dimensions PILOT
As a participating institution in the federal Dimensions pilot project, UBC is undertaking an institutional self-assessment across both campuses and will develop an action plan to address equity, diversity and inclusion in its research environment.
Federal Dimensions program: UBC is one of 17 institutions participating in the pilot project of the federal Dimensions program.
RESOURCES FOR RESEARCHERS
Introduction: Making Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Matter in Research
Learn how EDI can be incorporated into your research through this video primer, narrated by Dr. Rachael Sullivan, Equity Facilitator, UBC Equity & Inclusion Office.
Part 1 (25 min)
- What is Equity, Diversity and Inclusion?
- Definitions of E, D, and I
- Why EDI?: Benefits and Barriers of EDI in Research
- Academic training & mentorship
- Research design
- Innovation & problem-solving
Part 2 (34 min)
- How EDI Matters in the Analytical Process: How to bring EDI into research development
- Gender-based analysis plus (GBA+)
- How EDI Matters in the Analytical Process: Design & data to team development
- EDI in research design
- EDI in research materials & tools
- EDI in research teams & lab composition
- EDI in research teams & lab culture
UBC STRATEGIC and Action Plans RELATING TO EDI
- Strategic Plan
- Inclusion Action Plan
- Canada Research Chairs EDI Action Plan
- Indigenous Strategic Plan
Federal and Tri-Agency Information
- Government of Canada: Gender-Based Analysis Plus
- Tri-Agency Statement on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in the Research System
- Council of Canadian Academies: Strengthening Canada's Research Capacity: The Gender Dimension
Tri-agency resources for funding applications
- CIHR: How to integrate sex and gender into research
- New Frontiers in Research Fund: Best practices in equity, diversity and inclusion in research
- Canada Research Chairs Program: Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan
- NSERC: Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, diversity and inclusion in your application [download]
- U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine: Promising Practices for Addressing the Underrepresentation of Women in Science, Engineering, and Medicine
- Ahmad AS, Sabat I, Trump-Steele R and King E (2019) Evidence-based Strategies for Improving Diversity and Inclusion in Undergraduate Research Labs. Front. Psychol. 10:1305.
- Maestre FT (2019) Ten simple rules towards healthier research labs. PLoS Comput Biol 15(4): e1006914