COVID-19: Curtailing research activities on UBC campuses

UBC Broadcasts:  May 12  April 28     APRIL 1   MARCH 19   

Exemption Form    UBC Response to COVID-19

New UBC COVID-19 Research Website

In response to COVID-19, the university continues to curtail on-campus research, scholarship and creative activities on its Vancouver and Okanagan campuses. The research community is directed to work remotely. 

We appreciate that many researchers have been able to transition to conduct their research and scholarship remotely. However, we are aware that this curtailment has significantly impacted many faculty members, graduate students, research trainees, postdoctoral fellows and research staff.

The health and wellbeing of our university community remains our priority, and we are continuing to follow provincial guidance to limit the spread of COVID-19. 

We are working with Faculties on both campuses to consider how we will gradually ease curtailment restrictions in ways that are consistent with public health requirements. This advance planning effort will allow us to safely and judiciously increase on-campus research activities when public health conditions allow. As communicated on May 12, In collaboration with our Faculties, we are now planning for the phased resumption of on-campus research from the beginning of June, adopting a gradual approach over the summer months. Read more about this planning process.

On-campus research curtailment restrictions remain in place at this time. Individual researchers may continue to apply for critical research exemptions. Guidance on conducting fieldwork and in-person research involving human participants is also provided below.

Please see the FAQ below about the impact of this extension on previously approved exemptions.

UBC priorities with respect to research are to:

  • Ensure the health and safety of our local and broader community
  • Maintain the welfare of research animals
  • Ensure the sustainability and safety of critical research resources, data and reagents that are difficult to replace
  • Assist researchers in maintaining or obtaining research funding to cover staff salaries and other priorities

Summary of town hall consultations (posted April 5)

Summary of COVID-19 research working groups (posted April 5)


The FAQs below prioritize health and safety, first and foremost.  They are intended to facilitate the curtailment of most on-campus research activity and the continuing operation of some critical on-campus research activity.   

Last update: April 28, 1:30pm
(* indicates latest updates) 

Who does this directive apply to?
What research can continue on campus?
How do I apply for a curtailment exemption?
What is the deadline to submit an exemption form?
Can I work on research projects from home?
Can I still access my research lab or facility?
Curtailment Extension
How does the ongoing extension of the curtailment impact my approved exemption?*

Information about support, resources and funding opportunities for COVID-19 research can now be found in the Funding & Resources section of the UBC COVID-19 research website. This includes funding opportunities, ethics and animal care committee approval processes, high-performance computing resources and links to provincial, national and international resources, platforms and networks.

REsearch Support
Are units in the VPRI portfolio still offering support to researchers during on-campus research curtailment?
Research Supplies 
How will UBC deal with limited research supplies (e.g., gloves, masks and liquid nitrogen)?
Can I still receive international shipments of research materials and supplies?
What should I do if my research involves fieldwork?
Research with Human Participants
Can I continue clinical research involving human participants?
Can I continue behavioural research involving human participants?
Working with Animals
Can I continue to submit protocols to the Animal Care Committee?
Can I still access training?
How are Animal Care Services facilities impacted?
Plant Care
What should I do if my research uses Plant Care Services?
Remote Access to research data & SOftware
How can I securely store and access my data so that I can continue my research remotely?
Is additional software available for me to access remotely?
Guidance for curtailing research activity in your laboratory or research space
How can I minimize the impact on my research program or lab, and the associated academic progress of my graduate students and postdoctoral fellows?
Research Funding
Are funding application dates changing?
Eligible expenses
Submitting my Research Project Information Form (RPIF)?
New funding opportunities for COVID-19 research
Who should I contact if I have questions about support for my research?