The Dimensions pilot will produce a comprehensive review of the university’s existing EDI-related policies, programs, practices and initiatives and will build upon the university's Inclusion Action Plan and Indigenous Strategic Plan.
The self-assessment seeks to identify systemic barriers and inequities experienced by members of historically underserved, marginalized or excluded groups in the UBC research community.
The completed self-assessment will inform the creation of an action plan to address these systemic barriers and inequities within the university’s research ecosystem, to be released at the conclusion of the pilot.
The Dimensions team has conducted an initial environmental scan of the university's EDI landscape as it pertains to the research ecosystem at both campuses, and has defined the approach and methodology by which the institutional self-assessment will be carried.
The self-assessment approach will combine identification and acknowledgement of existing EDI efforts and institutional-level strategic initiatives that have occurred or are occurring at UBC, with the central requirements of the federal Dimensions program, to promote synergies and avoid duplication of efforts. The approach also defines the research ecosystem as it will be understood by the team conducting the self-assessment, and the scope of their assessment activities.
UBC's self-assessment will leverage the findings and recommendations of UBC's existing strategies and plans in the area of EDI. These include, but are not limited to, UBC’s:
- Strategic plan, Shaping UBC's Next Century
- Inclusion Action Plan
- Indigenous Strategic Plan
- Canada Research Chairs EDI Action Plan
- Together Against Racism and Injustice, a strategic initiative of the university president
The self-assessment will also touch on a variety of elements, including access, admissions, recruitment, career development, job security, pay, working and learning conditions, resources, retention, and the career progression of members of the UBC research community, i.e., students, postdoctoral fellows, part-time and full-time academic staff, non-academic and support staff, and research partners.
A diverse team from across UBC’s research community will carry out the self-assessment and, later, develop the action plan. The team comprises faculty, staff and students, and includes representation from equity-seeking groups identified in the Dimensions program, these include but are not limited to, women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities/racialized groups, and members of LGBTQ2+ communities.
UBC’s self-assessment team is composed of (a/an):
- Steering Committee: The steering committee provides strategic direction and leadership for the pilot project.
- Advisory Committee: The advisory committee provides guidance to, and oversight of, the project team, and will lead the development of the Dimensions application.
- Working Groups: Working groups provide support and expertise for the institutional self-assessment, with a focus on EDI data collection and analysis. There are two working groups for different kinds of data to be collected:
- Quantitative data & analysis working group: focused on the collection and analysis of EDI-related demographic data about the UBC research community.
- Qualitative data & analysis working group: focused on the collection and analysis of existing institutional EDI policies, programs, practices and initiatives, as well as information based on lived-experiences from key informants and focus groups.
Committee And Working Group Members
- Barker, Philip Vice-Principal, Research & Innovation, and Associate Vice-President, Research, UBCO (Co-Chair)
- Buchholz, Marcia Vice-President, Human Resources
- Carry, Ainsley Vice-President, Students
- Evenden, Matthew Associate Vice-President, Research & Innovation
- Finlay, Sara-Jane Associate Vice-President, Equity and Inclusion
- MacDougall, Mary Dean, Faculty of Dentistry
- Mukherjee Reed, Ananya Provost and Vice-President, Academic, UBCO
- Murphy, Gail Vice-President, Research & Innovation (Co-Chair)
- Porter, Susan Dean and Vice-Provost, Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Sadiq, Rehan Executive Associate Dean, School of Engineering
- Simpson, Peter Dean, College of Graduate Studies, UBCO
- Szeri, Andrew Provost and Vice-President, Academic
- Traister, Bryce Dean, Faculty of Creative and Critical Studies, UBCO
- van Donkelaar, Paul Associate Vice-Principal, Research
- Yada, Rickey Dean, Faculty of Land & Food Systems
- Abraham, Ninan Associate Dean, Equity and Inclusion, Faculty of Science
- Ash, Alex Indigenous Strategic Planning Manager, First Nations House of Learning
- Dierkes, Julian Associate Dean, Funding, Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Griep, Louise Strategist, Institutional Initiatives, Equity and Inclusion Office
- Hibsch-Jetter, Carola Manager, Strategic Initiatives, Faculty of Science
- Kenston, Sam Vice-President, Students, Graduate Student Society
- Mahtani, Minelle Senior Advisor to the Provost on Racialized Faculty
- Masoud, Mina Vice-President, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion, UBC Postdoctoral Association
- McKeown, Stephanie Chief Institutional Research Officer
- Murray, Stuart Analytics and Reporting Lead, Integrated Renewal Program
- Muthui, Perpetuah Inclusion Action Plan Strategist, Equity & Inclusion Office (UBCO)
- Parrott, Lael Associate Dean, Strategic Personnel Planning and Development (UBCO)
- Virji-Babul, Naznin Senior Advisor to the Provost on Women and Gender-Diverse Faculty (Chair)
- Wallace, Maia Equity and Inclusion Lead, UBC Alma Mater Society
- Wu, Sharon Managing Director, Research Support Services
- do Livramento, Henrique Senior Planning & Research Analyst, PAIR
- Jelovica, Bahar Research Analyst, PAIR
- Lau, Grace Associate Director, Student Experience Evaluations and Research, PAIR
- Locher, Jens Assistant Dean, Strategic Technologies and Business Initiatives, Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Maier, Tanja Workforce Strategist, Human Resources
- Marmer, Oxana Associate Director, PAIR
- Mol, Louise Manager, Systems & Data Analysis, Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Buchanan-Parker, Lucy Planning and Evaluation Strategist, Strategic Diversity Initiative, Equity and Inclusion Office
- Dawson, Marliese Research Program Manager, Indigenous Research Support Initiative
- Kootenayoo, Tashia Vice-President, Internal, Student Union Okanagan
- Maines, Denise Research Development Officer, Office of Research Services, UBCO
- Oliphant, Tora Research and Evaluations Associate, Equity and Inclusion Office
- Williams, Adina Community Liaison, Indigenous Research Support Initiative