The VPR office is committed to supporting clusters of research excellence. These clusters are inter-departmental networks of researchers at UBC who collectively represent leaders in a particular field of study.
We are working with the Office of the Provost and VP Academic to support cluster development by engaging with the research community to:
- identify clusters of research excellence,
- engage with clusters in strategic planning, and
- provide, when possible, seed funds for catalytic activities needed to attract further opportunities for growth.
This work is enabled in part by the UBC Excellence Fund.
Multiple clusters have been supported under this inititiative. These include:
- Adapting Biosystems – Biodiversity Group
- Advanced Manufacturing for Global Mobility
- Critical Racial & Anti-Colonial Studies: Critical + Creative Social Justice Studies
- Data Analytics and Systems Science (DASS) to Optimize Heart + Lung Health
- Designing for People: Interactive Computational Technology
- Dynamic Brain Circuits and Connections in Health and Disease
- Ethical and Societal Response and Governance of Gene Editing and Gene Drives (GEGD)
- Exploring Musical Time
- Forest BioProducts Institute (FBP)
- Forest and Plant Productivity
- ForLives: Forests and Livelihoods for Sustainable Development
- The Future Oceans
- Global Challenges to Democracy: Rights, Freedoms, and Human Development
- Globalized Product and Labour Markets
- Hidden Costs of Global Supply Chains
- Implicit Gender Bias in STEM
- Language Sciences Transdisiplinary Research
- Microbiome Research Network
- NanoMedicines and Drug Delivery
- Remembering and Commemorating Trauma
- RESTORE (Regeneration and Stem Cells for Organ Rejuvenation)
- Rhythm Research Cluster
- Social Mobilization on Climate Change using Digital Media
- Theatre and Mental Health
- Wingspan Dis/ability Arts, Culture, & Public Pedagogy
More to be announced soon.