UBC aims to support researchers to advance equity, diversity and inclusion in all aspects of the research lifecycle and ecosystem.
The following resources are non-exhaustive and are provided as a starting point for building EDI in research at UBC. Further research and reflection may be required and are strongly encouraged in the pursuit of research excellence that upholds equity, diversity and inclusion.
Learn how EDI can be incorporated into your research through this video primer, narrated by Dr. Rachael Sullivan, Equity Facilitator, UBC Equity & Inclusion Office.
Part 1 (25 min)
- What is Equity, Diversity and Inclusion?
- Definitions of E, D, and I
- Why EDI?: Benefits and Barriers of EDI in Research
- Academic training & mentorship
- Research design
- Innovation & problem-solving
Part 2 (34 min)
- How EDI Matters in the Analytical Process: How to bring EDI into research development
- Gender-based analysis plus (GBA+)
- How EDI Matters in the Analytical Process: Design & data to team development
- EDI in research design
- EDI in research materials & tools
- EDI in research teams & lab composition
- EDI in research teams & lab culture